Scribd Launches Unlimited-Access Audiobook Catalog
November 12, 2014 - Kindle Unlimited
Scribd adds a 30,000-title library of audiobooks to its subscription-based catalog, during no additional cost to users.
The pierce is a latest enlargement of Scribd’s calm charity after adding some-more than 15,000 Harlequin ebooks, building on an existent partnership with HarperCollins, that acquired the intrigue publisher in May.
According to Scribd co-founder Jared Friedman, a Harlequin addition has “gone amazingly well” in its first month, violence Scribd’s expectations for a recognition of a new stand of intrigue titles among subscribers.
Scribd now hopes to follow that success with an desirous incursion into audiobooks, which haven’t been broadly accessible by subscription until recently. Kindle Unlimited, Amazon’s subscription-based ebook program, that launched this summer, offers usually about 2,500 audiobooks. (Amazon’s Audible service, that offers over 150,000 titles, is not accessible by subscription.) A start-up called Skybrite rolled out a own subscription audiobook platform only this week.
One reason Friedman says a audiobook marketplace is small relative to ebooks, and only removing started within the subscription model, is a high separator to entry.
But Scribd sees a determined bottom of ebook readers as a natural audience for a audiobooks.
Being means to switch between an audiobook of an ebook chronicle of a same pretension has been one of subscribers’ “top underline requests” given a service’s launch, says Friedman. For a while, it was formidable to deliver. For one thing, the publisher that owns a audio rights to a given pretension is mostly opposite than a one that publishes a ebook. But Scribd has taken stairs to problematic that disorderly existence for users wherever possible, relating adult any audiobook with a analogous ebook whenever both versions of a given pretension are accessible in a catalog.
Scribd is aiming to foster “crossover usage,” enlivening precisely that behavior–a seamless user knowledge in that flipping behind and onward between reading and listening becomes a healthy approach of consuming content on a platform. Doing so is radically a matter of attack a “play” symbol on an ebook.
Other facilities embody skip buttons that let listeners burst behind or forward thirty seconds; a speed-change duty that speeds adult or slows down a rate during that a anecdotist speaks; audio bookmarks; and present streaming, as against to carrying to download any pretension in sequence to listen to it.
Every publisher participating in Scribd’s audiobook module has supposing a whole front-list. While those initial 30,000 titles pales in comparison with a some-more than 500,000 titles in Scribd’s ebook catalog, Friedman points out that they paint a incomparable commission of a much smaller audiobook market. Scribd intends to keep adding titles to a catalog in a months ahead.
The relations quantities and thresholds during that listeners trigger payouts to publishers on Scribd varies by publisher, genre and length of audiobook, among other factors.
SCRIBD ADDS 30,000 AUDIOBOOKS TO ITS LIBRARY, CREATING THE LARGEST UNLIMITED BOOK OFFERING FROM WORLD’S TOP PUBLISHERS
Subscribers Can Enjoy Unlimited Access to Audiobooks from Colm Tóibín, Cormac McCarthy, Eckhart Tolle, Haruki Murakami, Suzanne Collins More, All for $8.99 per Month
SAN FRANCISCO, Nov 6, 2014 — Scribd, a heading subscription book service, currently announced that it is broadening a charity to give subscribers entrance to some-more than 30,000 audiobooks. Titles will embody new releases, as good as pound hits and endowment winners like The Hunger Games trilogy, The Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolaño, and Daring Greatly by Brené Brown, all for Scribd’s stream cost of $8.99 per month. The further of this endless audiobooks selection, that includes titles from Blackstone, HarperCollins, Scholastic and Naxos, to Scribd’s existent library of some-more than half a million e-books represents a largest unlimited-access charity of e-books and audiobooks accessible today.
“We’ve always envisioned Scribd as a home for a best essay and storytelling in a world,” pronounced Trip Adler, co-founder and CEO of Scribd. “Audiobooks are some-more than a $1B a year attention and they are a healthy prolongation of Scribd’s existent calm offering. This has been one of a many renouned requests and we’re vehement to strech book lovers wherever they are and however they select to review – or listen.”
“We are anxious to work with Scribd on an audiobook offering,” pronounced Chantal Restivo-Alessi, Chief Digital Officer, HarperCollins Publishers. “Audio is a flourishing difficulty and one that needs additional placement channels. By creation a audiobooks accessible by Scribd, we’re opening adult a many wider marketplace for a authors’ works.”
Listeners can crop special audio-only collections curated by Scribd’s editorial staff, including collections organised by length, narrator, and subject, from “Shakespearean Actors Reading Shakespeare” to “Roadtrip Listening: SF to LA,” to “What to Listen to on a Way to a Job Interview.”
● Landmark works by contemporary authors – Hardboiled Wonderland and a End of a World by Haruki Murakami, No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy, The Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolaño, The Game by A.S. Byatt, Europe Central by William T. Vollmann, Mothers and Sons by Colm Tóibín, Shadow Country by Peter Matthiessen, and more.
● Beloved actors reading children’s classics – James Earl Jones reads Who’s In Rabbit’s House?, Paul Giamatti reads The True Story of a Three Little Pigs, Meryl Streep reads Chrysanthemum, Sarah Jessica Parker reads Owen, and more.
● Star-studded full-cast recordings of classics – Contemporary actors including Damien Lewis Joseph Fiennes seem in full-cast recordings of Shakespeare; Forest Whitaker, Eartha Kitt, Angela Bassett, and Denzel Washington seem in full-cast recordings of a Bible.
● Golden Age Radio Dramas – Science novella classics such as a Bradbury Thirteen and The Twilight Zone remember a Golden Age of radio dramas with full expel recordings, soundtracks, and sound effects.
● Self-Improvement titles by world-renowned authors – The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle, Daring Greatly by Brené Brown, The Architecture of Happiness by Alain de Botton, and more.
● Novels that desirous blockbuster films – Recordings of a novels that desirous blockbuster films, such as Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick, Catch Me If You Can by Frank W. Abagnale, The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, and The Graduate by Charles Webb.
● Beloved narrators – Audiophiles’ favorite narrators such as Jim Dale, Simon Vance, and Katherine Kellgren.
● Critically acclaimed and award-winning recordings – Grammy Audie Award Winners, ALSC Notable Children’s Recordings, Publishers Weekly Listen-Up Award Winners, and more.
● Titles from a world’s heading audiobooks publishers – Blackstone, HarperCollins, Scholastic, Naxos, and more.
Scribd is partnering with Findaway World, a heading provider of digital audiobooks and record solutions, to energy a audiobook offering. Findaway World’s AudioEngine height enables entrance to a catalog of some-more than 30,000 total subscription audiobooks to Scribd users worldwide. Audiobooks are accessible now to subscribers on Android, Kindle Fire, Nook tablets, and web enabled browsers. Audiobooks will be accessible to iOS users in a entrance days.
Scribd is a premier subscription book use with some-more than half a million e-books and audiobooks, including New York Times bestsellers, Pulitzer Prize winners, and reader favorites opposite any genre. Available in scarcely any nation and 80 languages around iOS, Android, Kindle Fire, Nook tablets and a web, Scribd also facilities some-more than 60 million created works contributed by users around a world. Launched in 2007 by Trip Adler and Jared Friedman and corroborated by Y Combinator, Charles River Ventures, and Redpoint Ventures, Scribd is one of a many successful websites in a world, reaching some-more than 80 million active readers any month.
2 thoughts on “Scribd Launches Unlimited-Access Audiobook Catalog”
Leave a Reply Cancel reply